Saturday, January 3, 2009

Changes

As the awakening at Lunsford waned, I graduated from college. There were significant changes that followed in my life. They were changes that played critical roles in shaping my understanding of life, ministry and the church. The first related to the choice of a seminary; the second was the move to New Providence Baptist Church, and the third was my seminary days.

After college my plans had always been to attend Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Those plans changed on the sidewalk of my hometown, Jonesboro, Arkansas. I had been shopping and was walking back to my car when an older man from my home church pulled up and honked at me. I walked over as he rolled down his window and asked what my plans were. I told him about Southwestern. His next three sentences would alter the direction of my life. "Have you heard about the new seminary in Little Rock? Every professor believes the Bible. You should check it out." With that he drove off. I knew nothing of this new seminary but did some checking around and learned that Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary had just started.

The next week I drove to Little Rock to check it out. Mid-America was in its first year. It had only twenty-six students in the first class and met in the lower floor of Olivet Baptist Church. Everything about the school was humble and there was nothing outwardly attractive. The receptionist gave me a schedule of classes to visit. The first was a systematic theology class taught by Dr. Roy Beaman. Little did I know how walking into his classroom would alter my life.

Dr. Beaman was lecturing on the grace of God that day. But it was much more than a lecture, it was the testimony of a life enraptured by God's grace. I sat spellbound as this scholar spoke of the grace of God with such a sense of awe and astonishment. There was such humility in his voice as he spoke of the greatness of God and the grandeur of His grace. I had never heard anyone so overwhelmed by the grace of God to sinful men. After the class was over I forgot the schedule that had been given to me and followed Dr. Beaman to his next class, Biblical Archeology. He didn't lecture on archeology that day, but continued in his exaltation of the grace of God. After class we went to chapel and Dr. Beaman preached on the grace of God. I then followed him to the next class, Greek, and he continued speaking of God's grace. I went to another class but cannot remember it. My mind was overwhelmed by what I had heard about the God's amazing grace. After the last class I went to lunch with a couple of students and Dr. Beaman. Sitting around the table in a Mexican restaurant, Dr. Beaman continued to talk about God's grace with such passion and reverence.

Two things happened that day. First, my decision about where to attend seminary was settled. I had to learn from men like Dr. Beaman. Two, my whole concept of God was transformed. I wanted to know the sense of awe that Dr. Beaman had expressed through out that day. Reflecting back on that day, it was the beginning of understanding for me of what a God-centered life is all about. I look at that day as one of the most important in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment