Sunday, January 4, 2009

Seminary

The days at seminary were among the most enjoyable and profitable in my life. I was in the second class of Mid-America and when I started there were eighty-six students. This afforded a unique learning experience and a close relationship with professors. What was presented in the classroom was pursued in the hallways and around the table at lunch. Those days were very much more like a Socratic model of learning. The seminary grew markedly over the three years I was there, but the closeness of relationships remained.

I am deeply appreciative of all the professors. Three standout as to their life impact on me.

Dr.Gray Allison was the President of Mid-America. He taught Evangelism and several other courses in those days. It was from Dr. Allison that evangelism changed for me from a duty to a delight, from something we do to the heart of all we do. As Dr. Gray presided over chapel and missionary days he kept the world before us and the fire of passion for missions was lit in my heart. I learned from watching a man of extraordinary faith who regularly trusted God for big things.

Dr. Reginald Barnard was a slight build Englishman with a soft voice. He influenced my life in so many ways (a seriousness about theology combined with with a humble spirit), but the greatest impact was in an intensive course on the book of 1 Corinthians. During the quarter we never got past the first half of chapter two. We spent the entire time on "the word of the Cross." The impact of that course on my life was profound and was integral in shaping a developing understanding that a God-centered life is a Cross-centered life. Oh, the glory of the Gospel!

Dr. Beaman's influence was multifaceted. He was just a teacher and wisdom dripped from his lips. Being around him anywhere was a time of learning. Years later, in the last days of his life, I visited him often and he continued to teach me. I saw him the day before he died and found him lying in bed lecturing.

All three of these men were used greatly in my life in the classroom, but even more by allowing me to observe their lives. In my eyes these are great men of God, but when I think about them, I think of Colossians 3:12, "So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." Could there be a more important lesson to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment